What It's Like Living with the Noise of a Mechanical Ticker



Before having my Aortic Valve replaced, I was curious about living with the noise of a mechanical heart valve ticking away in my chest 24 hours a day for the rest of my life.  Would the ticking noise drive me crazy?
In fact, this questions guided my decision making when choosing a valve.  I knew that of the mechanical valve options, the St. Jude was slightly louder than the On-X valve.  Although this was a very small consideration overall, it was definitely on the list of positives for making my valve selection.  

Stock photo of the On-X Valve
A stock photo of the On-X Valve


Now that I have had a mechanical valve ticking away in my chest for the last 4 years, I can say with some authority that it has only made life better!  For the most part, the noise from the valve is something that I do not pay attention to.  It easily blends into the background noise of the day.  

So when do I hear it?
As I sit in a quiet room to write this post, especially after consuming a bowl of ice cream, I can hear the valve opening and closing.  The noise seems to generate from my carotid arteries more than my chest.  This probably has to do with the proximity of these large arteries to my ears.

I usually hear the valve when I am in a quiet space, especially after caffeine or exercise.  When I am rock climbing, this noise is a great reminder to calm my breathing and return to a resting heart rate.  When I walk uphill for an extended amount of time, I can also hear the valve ticking away, but usually my breathing covers it up.

A photo of me "resting" on a challenging route.  The clicking is a good reminder to slow my breathing and keep my heart rate down.

A photo of me "resting" on a challenging climb.  
My ticking reminds me to slow my breathing and keep a resting heart rate.




In most other circumstances, I have to make an effort to hear the valve, so it does not interfere with my day-to-day activities, but it is fun to listen for.     


Do other people hear my valve?     
This was something I was really intrigued by before surgery.  My cardiologist told me that my valve would be audible to others in small settings.  I wondered what it would be like to have people hear a ticking noise and not know where it was coming from.

At this point, non-medical experts only mention my ticking on occasion.  One night, for example, my friend was frantically searching his cabinets and drawers.  I eventually asked what he was looking for and he told me that something was ticking and it was driving him crazy.  I allowed him to continue the search for a little while, before letting him listen to my chest. 

I also once had a cashier at Trader Joe's give me a funny look.  He said, "something is ticking, and you're not wearing  watch."

The coolest story though, was when I was in the hospital with my girlfriend.  She was getting looked at for some back pain and the doctor walked into the room and within a minute asked which one of us had the mechanical valve.

Of course, when people put their ear to my chest, they can hear my heart very easily.  When sleeping next to my girlfriend, my valve is very audible, but she does not seem to mind.
In this photo, I am on the top of My. Hood, drinking a soda (orange jacket).  
I do NOT usually drink soda, so in this circumstance, I can definitely hear the valve, if I pay attention.


All in all, my valve noise is something that make me unique, but not something that bothers me.  It is evidence that the valve is doing its job and a great reminder to appreciate every one of the beats that I get.      

Comments

  1. I had no idea the new valve would make a noise. What an education...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea. This is something the Docs talked about a little bit beforehand. I guess some people have different experiences than me as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentally Preparing for Surgery

My New Valve (video)